According to Francesco A. Pia, PHD, “There is very little splashing, no waving, and no yelling or calls for help of any kind”. Many drownings happen within 25 yards of a parent or other adult. In some cases the adult will actually watch them do it, having no idea it is happening. “Drowning does not look like drowning” – Dr. Pia,
Look for these other signs of drowning when persons are in the water:
- Head low in the water, mouth at water level
- Head tilted back with mouth open
- Eyes glassy and empty, unable to focus
- Eyes closed
- Hair over forehead or eyes
- Not using legs – Vertical
- Hyperventilating or gasping
- Trying to swim in a particular direction but not making headway
- Trying to roll over on the back
- Appear to be climbing an invisible ladder.
One way to be sure? Ask them, “Are you alright?” If they can answer at all – they probably are. If they return a blank stare, you may have less than 30 seconds to get to them. And parents – children playing in the water make noise. When they get quiet, you get to them and find out why.
SIG is located in Bonney Lake and provides, free of charge, personal insurance quotes and options for the homeowner, renter and average Jo. Coverage options include but are not limited to: Individual & Family Health Coverage; Homeowners Insurance; Auto, RV, Boat, Motorcycle, and Life Insurance